PE2950 and Linux virtualization

Scott R. Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 5 19:54:54 CDT 2008

What are people's experiences with CentOS 5.0 64-bit installed on dual 3
Ghz quad-core PE2950 systems with 32 GB RAM each, high-performance
computing (applications that tax both the CPUs and RAM), not currently
in a Beowolf cluster but could adapt to that, and doing so with VMWare or
other vitualization software vs activity being done directly in the OS?

How much of a performance hit, or gain (I'd presume hit), does
virtualization cause an application, resulting in what percentage poorer
or better (I'd presume poorer) performance vs dealing directly with the
OS?

It would be nice to have a VM perform some work, and if a person's code or
application breaks, have it take down a VM while keeping a machine up, and
not affecting other people's work.

It may also depend on if an application or code is written directly
with/for the physical cpu/hardware vs more general use (VM).

Thanks for insights and experiences.

Scott