Trying to build 7-45 TB storage on the cheap with only Dell hardware

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Thu Jun 5 19:09:21 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:14:54AM -0700, Ryan Bair wrote:
> I love the MD1000 PERC5/6 combination. Its really great performance
> and scalability at a good price.
>
> I keep all of my drives in a big 15 block then chain them together
> with the dual EMMs. On the OS level I use LVM to tie together the
> individual MD1000's into a single mega volume group. Keep in mind that
> you can hook up  to 45TB of raw disk space (with 1TB drives) to a
> single PERC card. With a 2U server and 3 PERC cards, you can really
> get a lot of storage on a single machine.
>
> If you need to scale across multiple servers, you may want to look at
> GlusterFS.
>
> Some comments inline.

This sounds like something we are interested in setting up.  Can you
give insight into the following potential setup?

Ideally we'd like to have one front-end box and one MD1000 loaded with
disks in two separate colo rooms.  We'd like the backend storage to be
mirrored between the two MD1000's and if one MD1000 fails the other
can automatically step in and continue to be accessed via *either*
front-end box (regardless if it's directly attached to the MD1000 or
not).

I envision each front end box having a direct connection to one MD1000
and an iSCSI connection to the other... then using LVM or software RAID
to mirror between the two and formatting the whole thing with GFS.

Better way to do this?

Ray