RAID monitoring

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 31 15:36:51 CDT 2007

I'm trying to set up a Dell 1950 as a  web server. We're a debian linux shop
so I installed debian etch (current stable version). Then i installed the
debian port of the dellomsa package.

I'm not sure what to do next.  The problem is that I'm blind and i can't
read the printed documentation. I've been going through the CDs that came
with the server but I can't find a comprehensive step-by-step guide. By
using -? with omreport, I've gotten far. I see that RAID1 appears to be
working. There is one virtual disk and 2 physical disks and it says for each
that a failure is not immenent.

What I mainly would like to know is how i can configure RAID monitoring. I
need to make sure I am notified if a drive begins to fail. Can I configure
dellomsa to send email if a drive failure is detected? Can i test that
somehow? Should I simply write a script to parse the output from 'omreport
sstorage controller controller=0'?

Or maybe this is documented somewhere either on-line or on one of the CDs
that comes with the server?

Help please.

PS: The server came with a cable, about 3 feet long. One end plugs into the
back of the server. The other end has a knob or button on the end. Can
anybody tell me what that is? An external temp probe maybe?