attaching the hosts to the SAN

Kristoffer Knigga Kknigga at arrow-financial.com
Wed Oct 31 09:58:39 CDT 2007

Try:

# yum install kernel-devel

________________________________

From: Mad Unix [mailto:madunix at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:54 AM
To: Matthew Geier
Cc: Kristoffer Knigga; Linux-PowerEdge at dell.com
Subject: Re: attaching the hosts to the SAN

I run the Installer script for Linux

# tar -xvzf qlafc-linux-8.01.00-4 install.tgz
# cd qlafc-linux-8.01.00-4 install
# ./qlinstall -dp

my output

[root at linux1 qlafc-linux-8.01.00-4-install]# ./qlinstall -dp

#*********************************************************#
#           SANsurfer Driver Installer for Linux          #
#               Installer Version:  1.00.07               #
#*********************************************************#

Kernel version: 2.6.18-8.el5xen

Found QLogic Fibre Channel Adapter in the system
    1: QLA2432
Installation will begin for following driver
    1: qla2xxx version: v8.01.00

Preparing...

Kernel development package for 2.6.18-8.el5xen kernel is not installed.

For this Red Hat distribution
----------------------------
Install kernel-devel-2.6.18-8.el5xen RPM from its installation CD.

For Example:
Insert the installation CD in the CD drive
Let it auto mount or mount using following command
    # mount /media/cdrom
Change directory to RPM directory and install
    # cd /media/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS
    # rpm -iv kernel-devel*.rpm
         OR use the GUI
Run the Add or Remove Packages using following command
    # system-config-packages
In the Add or Remove Packages window select "Development Tools"
Click on "Details" and make sure the "kernel-devel" package is selected
Close the Development Tools Package Details window
Click Update to install kernel development package

Aborting installation, required kernel packages are not installed...

error: %pre(qla2xxx-v8.01.00-3.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping qla2xxx-v8.01.00-3

On 10/31/07, Matthew Geier <matthew at acfr.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

	Kristoffer Knigga wrote:
	> Why can't you use Powerpath?  A technical reason or something
else?

	> We don't use the exact setup you do, but when I do this I get
regular
	> SCSI disk devices (/dev/sdx) that show up for each path to
each LUN.

	You don't need Powerpath, but you do need (or at least it makes
it a
	LOT easier) if you have the EMC host agent installed.

	I had a RHEL cluster connected to a CX300, where we had the host
agent
	installed but used multipathd to do the multi-path fail over,
not PowerPath.

	The host agent talks to the array so that you get host names in
the
	Navisphere manager program and feedback on what device names the
LUNS
	get allocated back on the host.

	If you don't use the host agent you have to work out what the
WWNs are
	of your FC interfaces manually and associate the LUNS with the
hosts by
	the WWN instead of the host name.

madunix