attaching the hosts to the SAN

Mad Unix madunix at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:53:56 CDT 2007

I run the Installer script for Linux

# tar -xvzf qlafc-linux-8.01.00-4 install.tgz
# cd qlafc-linux-8.01.00-4 install
# ./qlinstall -dp

my output
[root at linux1 qlafc-linux-8.01.00-4-install]# ./qlinstall -dp

#*********************************************************#
#           SANsurfer Driver Installer for Linux          #
#               Installer Version:  1.00.07               #
#*********************************************************#

Kernel version: 2.6.18-8.el5xen

Found QLogic Fibre Channel Adapter in the system
    1: QLA2432
Installation will begin for following driver
    1: qla2xxx version: v8.01.00

Preparing...

Kernel development package for 2.6.18-8.el5xen kernel is not installed.

For this Red Hat distribution
----------------------------
Install kernel-devel-2.6.18-8.el5xen RPM from its installation CD.

For Example:
Insert the installation CD in the CD drive
Let it auto mount or mount using following command
    # mount /media/cdrom
Change directory to RPM directory and install
    # cd /media/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS
    # rpm -iv kernel-devel*.rpm
         OR use the GUI
Run the Add or Remove Packages using following command
    # system-config-packages
In the Add or Remove Packages window select "Development Tools"
Click on "Details" and make sure the "kernel-devel" package is selected
Close the Development Tools Package Details window
Click Update to install kernel development package

Aborting installation, required kernel packages are not installed...

error: %pre(qla2xxx-v8.01.00-3.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping qla2xxx-v8.01.00-3

On 10/31/07, Matthew Geier <matthew at acfr.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> Kristoffer Knigga wrote:
> > Why can't you use Powerpath?  A technical reason or something else?
> >
> > We don't use the exact setup you do, but when I do this I get regular
> > SCSI disk devices (/dev/sdx) that show up for each path to each LUN.
>

> You don't need Powerpath, but you do need (or at least it makes it a
> LOT easier) if you have the EMC host agent installed.
>
> I had a RHEL cluster connected to a CX300, where we had the host agent
> installed but used multipathd to do the multi-path fail over, not
> PowerPath.
>
> The host agent talks to the array so that you get host names in the
> Navisphere manager program and feedback on what device names the LUNS
> get allocated back on the host.
>
> If you don't use the host agent you have to work out what the WWNs are
> of your FC interfaces manually and associate the LUNS with the hosts by
> the WWN instead of the host name.

madunix