java plugins

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 04:08:45 CDT 2007

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Mad Unix wrote:

> I have downloaded and install the JRE but still no response any help?
> here is my java version
>
> [pons at linux1 bin]$ pwd
> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/bin
> [pons at linux1 bin]$ java -version
> java version "1.4.2"
> gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-52)

> [pons at linux1 bin]$ ./java -version
> java version "1.6.0_03"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode)

To get 'java' to be your recently isntalled JRE modify your $PATH
environment variable in your .bash_profile (or similar for another shell):

 	PATH=/usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/bin:$PATH
 	export PATH

To get Firefox/Mozilla/Seamonkey to use the java plugin create a symbolic
link:

 	cd ~/.mozilla/plugins/
 	ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

(note the trailing dot)

Restart your browser and go to about:plugins.  You should see the java
plugin now listed.

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.