Yum and OM repo

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Oct 30 13:21:01 CDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 09:52:01AM -0700, Cathy Reaves wrote:
>    When I installed from the online repo it succeeded - no problems.  When I
>    setup the mirror I did a full rsyn of the entire repo.  Using the mirror I
>    had failures with the IMPI.  A yum clean all was performed on the system
>    prior to the install.  I am pasting the complete errors below.
>    Unfortunately I do not have the first portion as my screen rolled off.

It's failing because it can't find the device driver, which is odd, as
SLES 10 includes a good-enough device driver in its kernel.  Typically
you would install the OpenIPMI package, and then start the
/etc/init.d/ipmi service to load the drivers.

>      Installing: srvadmin-ipmi                ####################### [ 8/19]
>    ERR0R: Server Administrator requires an OpenIPMI driver with a version
>    that is
>    equal to or greater than 33.13. Currently no OpenIPMI driver modules are
>    installed for the running kernel, or the OpenIPMI driver modules installed
>    for
>    the running kernel have a version that is either unknown or less than the
>    minimum version of the OpenIPMI driver that is required by Server
>    Administrator.
>
>    In order to install OpenIPMI driver modules for the running kernel that
>    meet
>    the minimum version requirement, you should install or upgrade an OpenIPMI
>    driver RPM (i.e., "openipmi" RPM) that has a version that meets the
>    minimum
>    version requirement.
>
>    In order to assist you in installing or upgrading OpenIPMI driver modules
>    for
>    the running kernel that meet the minimum version requirement, a version of
>    the
>    OpenIPMI driver RPM that meets the minimum version requirement is carried
>    on
>    the systems management CD. A helper script, named "srvadmin-openipmi.sh",
>    is
>    also carried and can be found under the "srvadmin/linux/supportscripts"
>    directory on the CD.
>
>    To install/upgrade the OpenIPMI driver RPM and a related DKMS RPM that are
>    carried on the systems management CD, execute the following after
>    navigating
>    to the location of the script:
>
>    ./srvadmin-openipmi.sh install
>
>    Prior to executing the "install" command of the script, you may want to
>    first
>    execute the "status" command of the script by executing the following:
>
>    ./srvadmin-openipmi.sh status
>
>    This will give you a status of what the "install" command will potentially
>    do, but without modifying your system.
>
>    After you successfully install/upgrade the OpenIPMI driver RPM and the
>    related
>    DKMS RPM, you will then be able to install this RPM.

OK, this whole message is bogus on SLES10 because we never had to
produce a DKMSified IPMI driver, because we had it included in the
SLES10 kernel.  The message would be fine for RHEL3, RHEL4, and SLES9.

What happens when you:

modprobe ipmi_si
modprobe ipmi_devintf
dmesg

you should see several messages indicating the driver loaded.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux