RD1000 Backup

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Mon Oct 29 12:59:11 CDT 2007

> I have a RHEL4 server that I need to backup. The server has an internal
> RD1000 drive.
>
> I have used the "Tape Backup" option on Webmin to run a test backup to the
> RD1000 drive (it auto mounts as /DEV/SDB)
>
> What I would like to know is;
>
> 1) What is the best software to enable me to backup a few folders -
> probably about 4, including an export of the MYSQL database on the server
> {see below} - the drive came with Yosemite backup, but I find it difficult
> to use (as the server does not have Xwindows on it, only a terminal).

Easy: ssh -X server  from a computer with X installed

As for software to back things up: I've had much success with star
(http://cdrecord.berlios.de/new/private/star.html). Easier than
filesystem-specific dumps yet performs about the same. For database backups,
you first dump it somewhere, then backup the other directories and the dump
directory. Finally you remove the dump directory.

> I cant figure out on the webmin module, how to get it to wipe the drive
> before use, which I would need it to do.

If mt works on the drive, just do mt erase. It will take ages, mind you.
Otherwise, do mt rewind && mt weof

Cheers, Kuba