opensuse 10.3 poweredge 1600sc

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Mon Oct 29 09:05:36 CDT 2007

On Mon, October 29, 2007 09:39, Mike Bressem wrote:
> --On 29. Oktober 2007 08:23:21 -0500 Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com>
> wrote:
>> 1) opensuse 10.3 isn't officially supported by OMSA, so the automatic
>> installation via the hardware repo won't work. (note - it's pulled in
>> the emptyrepo automatically which doesn't have the packages).
>>
>> 2) PowerEdge SC systems don't have OMSA support, regardless of your OS.
>>

> hi matt,
>
> thanks for your answer. this is odd. i found an OMSA package (sles10) for
>  exactly that server. it's even listed as a compatible system on:

OMSA vis-a-vis SC systems is one of the odd mysteries of the Dell
universe.  There are any number of README files, etc., that seem to
indicate that specific SC systems are supported, but the Dell-dwellers
here consistently state that they are not (which does appear accurate).
I'm sure there are technical reasons, but have never seen them
articulated.

There's no conflict between Matt's statement that opensuse isn't
officially supported and your discovery of an SLES10 package.  Opensuse is
not SLES, although that package will probably work if you install it
manually.