Upgrading firmware and BIOS without Windows/Redhat/Floppy

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Oct 28 08:24:53 CDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 11:09:08AM +0100, Sander Steffann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Actually, this has just made me think, wouldn't it be great if
> > manufacturers produces a PXE image for bios updating as well as the
> > other routes ? It would be much easier to update any machine then.
> >
> > So, how about it dell ?
>
> I want to voice my support for this, and very strongly ask Dell to provide a
> PXE image as a raw image. So don't start putting it in some EXE like you did
> with the floppy image!

I think this would be a fine addition to firmware-tools.
Firmware-tools is an open source project.  Design discussion happens
on the firmware-tools-devel at lists.us.dell.com mailing list (subscribe
like you did for linux-poweredge at http://lists.us.dell.com), and the
code is available in our git repository.  Patches would certainly be
welcomed and reviewed.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux