grub boot problem with md

Greg Vickers daehenoc at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 27 08:22:17 CDT 2007

Hi Ben,

Ben Scott wrote:
> On 10/26/07, Greg Vickers <daehenoc at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> I recently installed grub on sdb with the following commands:
>> grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
>> grub> root (hd0,1)
>> grub> setup (hd0)
>
>   When installing GRUB and encountering problems, I find booting GRUB
> from floppy often helps (I got this idea from the docs, so the
> developers think so, too).  When you're running GRUB under Linux, it's
> seeing things the way the kernel sees them, which isn't always the way
> GRUB will see them when self-hosted.  Boot from floppy, and GRUB is
> self-hosted and running in real-mode, exactly as it will be when it
> boots from the MBR.
>
>   So pull the first hard disk and boot GRUB from floppy.  Thus, GRUB
> will see exactly what it will see when it boots that way from the HD.
>
>   You only have to install GRUB once, so it's usually not a big annoyance.

Thanks for the tip - so grub may see the disk that is plugged into the
sata1 port (i.e. the second HDD) slightly differently as when that disk
is presented by the kernel.

OK, I'll give it a shot - how do I install grub to a floppy disk?

I hope this server can boot off a USB floppy drive, it doesn't have a
FDD in it.

Cheers,
Greg