grub boot problem with md

Ben Scott mailvortex at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 07:09:05 CDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Greg Vickers <daehenoc at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> I recently installed grub on sdb with the following commands:
> grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
> grub> root (hd0,1)
> grub> setup (hd0)

  When installing GRUB and encountering problems, I find booting GRUB
from floppy often helps (I got this idea from the docs, so the
developers think so, too).  When you're running GRUB under Linux, it's
seeing things the way the kernel sees them, which isn't always the way
GRUB will see them when self-hosted.  Boot from floppy, and GRUB is
self-hosted and running in real-mode, exactly as it will be when it
boots from the MBR.

  So pull the first hard disk and boot GRUB from floppy.  Thus, GRUB
will see exactly what it will see when it boots that way from the HD.

  You only have to install GRUB once, so it's usually not a big annoyance.

-- Ben