OpenIPMI drivers missing

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Oct 26 21:50:31 CDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 12:52:17PM -0400, Steven Stromer wrote:
> >> 'service ipmi start' fails.
> >>
> >> 'service ipmi status' returns:
> >> ipmi_msghandler module not loaded.
> >> ipmi_si module not loaded.
> >> ipmi_devintf module not loaded.
> >> /dev/ipmi0 does not exist.
> >
> > You have installed the i586 version of the 2.6.22-9.61.fc6 kernel,
> > which unfortunately does not have the ipmi drivers built and
> > included.  You need to install the 2.6.22-9.61.fc6.x86_64 version of
> > the kernel.  This was a fairly common problem in F6 - the i586 kernel
> > got installed instead of the i686 kernel, and i586 has a lot of
> > modules missing.
> >

> Matt,
>
> Thanks for the great support.
>
> Fedora repo lists as available:
> kernel.i686                              2.6.22.9-61.fc6
>
> I want to confirm that this the kernel I should be migrating to? I've,
> of course, installed updated kernels within a single version, but never
> moved across versions. Should this be a similar experience, or can you
> think of any got-ya-s that I should be watching out for?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common
has a section describing the problem and the various solutions,
including a little script that uses yumdownloader to get the i686
kernel and replace the i586 kernel.

(I made a mistake above and said x86_64 - of course x86_64 didn't have
this problem, and you wouldn't have run into it if you had installed
x86_64 on that box, which it is capable of running.)

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch