OpenIPMI drivers missing

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Fri Oct 26 11:52:17 CDT 2007

>> 'service ipmi start' fails.
>>
>> 'service ipmi status' returns:
>> ipmi_msghandler module not loaded.
>> ipmi_si module not loaded.
>> ipmi_devintf module not loaded.
>> /dev/ipmi0 does not exist.
>
> You have installed the i586 version of the 2.6.22-9.61.fc6 kernel,
> which unfortunately does not have the ipmi drivers built and
> included.  You need to install the 2.6.22-9.61.fc6.x86_64 version of
> the kernel.  This was a fairly common problem in F6 - the i586 kernel
> got installed instead of the i686 kernel, and i586 has a lot of
> modules missing.

Matt,

Thanks for the great support.

Fedora repo lists as available:
kernel.i686                              2.6.22.9-61.fc6

I want to confirm that this the kernel I should be migrating to? I've,
of course, installed updated kernels within a single version, but never
moved across versions. Should this be a similar experience, or can you
think of any got-ya-s that I should be watching out for?

Thanks again!
Steven Stromer