OpenIPMI drivers missing

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Oct 25 21:48:21 CDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 05:20:17PM -0400, Steven Stromer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to IPMI-over-LAN from Dell PE 840, running 2.6.22.9-61.fc6
> ('host1'), to brand new Dell PE 840 with no installed OS ('host2'),
> using ipmitool.
>
> Both seem to have functioning BMCs. server2 has dynamically assigned
> address via the IPMI server management configuration utility. Both hosts
> are on the same lan segment.
>
> I've installed from the Fedora repo onto 'host1':
> OpenIPMI.i386                            2.0.6-5
> OpenIPMI-devel.i386                      2.0.6-5
> OpenIPMI-libs.i386                       2.0.6-5
> OpenIPMI-perl.i386                       2.0.6-5
> OpenIPMI-python.i386                     2.0.6-5
> OpenIPMI-tools.i386                      2.0.6-5
> dkms
>
> 'chkconfig openipmi on' returns:
> error reading information on service openipmi: No such file or directory

This should be 'chkconfig ipmi on'.

> 'service ipmi start' fails.
>
> 'service ipmi status' returns:
> ipmi_msghandler module not loaded.
> ipmi_si module not loaded.
> ipmi_devintf module not loaded.
> /dev/ipmi0 does not exist.

You have installed the i586 version of the 2.6.22-9.61.fc6 kernel,
which unfortunately does not have the ipmi drivers built and
included.  You need to install the 2.6.22-9.61.fc6.x86_64 version of
the kernel.  This was a fairly common problem in F6 - the i586 kernel
got installed instead of the i686 kernel, and i586 has a lot of
modules missing.

> Am I correct to assume that I do not have to install or use OMSA
> srvadmin packages just to be able to communicate with the BMC?

correct.

> On a related note, I'd like to update the BMC firmware version on
> 'host1'. Is this recommended or needed? Is there a way to do so without
> using OMSA?

You can use the Dell Update Package (DUP) for the BMC, if one exists
for a PE840. It's new enough there may not be such.  If so, it will be
on support.dell.com.  This doesn't require OMSA, but it does require
you to be running a kernel with the drivers.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch