hot plug SAS cables

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Wed Oct 24 15:57:50 CDT 2007

I have a PE2900 running CentOS 4.5 with a single fully-populated MD1000
shelf (15 300 GB SAS drives, shelf is not split) plugged into one port on
a Perc/5E. I have a need to add a second MD1000 shelf. I can presumably
daisy-chain this from the first MD1000, or plug it into the second Perc
port, scan the bus and then build volumes with omconfig (it will be 15
drives, 7 RAID1 volumes and a global hot spare). However, the MD1000
documentation says that "hot swapping of SAS cables is not supported".
Given that this is not exactly what I want to do (I'm adding SAS cables,
not swapping them), will I be able to add a second MD1000 without frying
anything, including my brain? Downtime of the system is not an option.

TIA,
Steve