RD1000 Backup

John Paul Szkudlapski johns at bsfc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 04:42:43 CDT 2007

Hi

I have a RHEL4 server that I need to backup. The server has an internal
RD1000 drive.

I have used the "Tape Backup" option on Webmin to run a test backup to the
RD1000 drive (it auto mounts as /DEV/SDB)

What I would like to know is;

1) What is the best software to enable me to backup a few folders - probably
about 4, including an export of the MYSQL database on the server {see below}
- the drive came with Yosemite backup, but I find it difficult to use (as
the server does not have Xwindows on it, only a terminal).

I cant figure out on the webmin module, how to get it to wipe the drive
before use, which I would need it to do.

2) how can I get mysql to do a dump of a database every night, automatically
without putting in username and password, so that I have an export of the
database to be backed up.

Regards

------------------------------------
John Paul Szkudlapski
Computer Services - BSFC
t: +44 151 651 3720
f: +44 151 653 4419
m: +44 770 275 3329

Birkenhead Sixth Form College

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only;
If it has come to you in error please notify compserv at bsfc.ac.uk

The contents of this e-mail are the personal views of the sender,
which may not necessarily reflect those of the college.

This message has been scanned for viruses.
The college cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses
which may have come from external sources.