watercooled pe2850 - pictures on the net

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Thu Oct 18 04:40:11 CDT 2007

What is the comparative power consumption?

A lot of the power in such a server is used by fans that are moving large
volumes of air through the box to the outside.  If the air can be moved to a
local heat exchanger, cooled and returned, I would have thought that such
water cooling (or even using a proper refrigerant) would be rather more
efficient than conventional air cooling in keeping the box temperatures down.

Given the present problem that a rack full of blade servers will consume as
much as 40 amps, this may be a consideration as many suppliers still max out
at 16 amps.

That is also apart from the noise factor of course and not to mention the
planet:).

ISTR big IBM boxes were always water cooled in the past.