pe1955 - bmc nic own ipaddress ?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Oct 16 16:28:46 CDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 09:09:47AM +0200, Honza Novak wrote:
> Hello,
> i'm playing a bit with collecting some data through IPMI on dell 1855
> and 1955 blade servers.
> everything works fine for me (after some digging in the documentation,
> papers, internet ....), but i found something, that i doesn't like.
>
> It seems that on pe1955, bmc nic needs its own ip address, it cannot
> share it as 1855 does it. In linux i see that NICs has different mac
> address than BMC nic and i found nothing in bios that looks like it
> would change this behavior.
> Am i doing something wrong? or is this feature of IMPI 2.0 protocol?

You are correct, the PE1955 BMC (and all other systems *except* the
PE1855) has its own IP address.  This is very much intentional - it
avoids a whole pile of problems that arise when the OS and the BMC
share a MAC and an IP address (such as your NFS mounts hanging
occasionally because portmapper in the OS is trying to use UDP ports
that are "eaten" by the BMC).

Thanks,
Matt

--