dell 2850 etch firmware updates

Andrew Reid AndrewReid at eastlink.ca
Tue Oct 16 15:43:28 CDT 2007

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:43:44AM +0200, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>
>>Is it possible to update my firmwares from within debian.
>

> Yes.  However, it's not as simple as it is with RPM-based
> distributions.  I've been hacking on this to make it simpler, but it's
> not there yet.
>
> First, install the libsmbios-bin package, which is in sarge at least.
>
> Run getSystemId (as root) to get the System ID.
>
> # getSystemId
> Libsmbios:    0.13.6
> System ID:    0x01A8
> Service Tag:  XXXXXXX
> Express Service Code: XXXXXXXXXXXX
> Product Name: Precision WorkStation 380
> BIOS Version: A07
> Vendor:       Dell Inc.
> Is Dell:      1
>
> The interesting value here is the System ID.
> Now you've got to manually download the right BIOS payload file from
> http://linux.dell.com/repo/software/bios-hdrs/
> for your system.  In my case that is the bios.hdr file in the
> http://linux.dell.com/repo/software/bios-hdrs/system_bios_ven_0x1028_dev_0x01a8_version_a09/
> directory.  (See, my system has BIOS A07, but there's A09 available).
>
> Now that it's downloaded, you can:
>
> # modprobe dell_rbu
> # dellBiosUpdate -u -f bios.hdr
> (read what it says. If no errors, reboot.)
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar question

When I try this on my PE2900 I get:

#getSystemId
Libsmbios:    0.10.6
System ID:    0x01B1
Service Tag:  XXXXXX
Product Name: PowerEdge 2900
BIOS Version: 1.2.0
Vendor:       Dell Inc.
Is Dell:      1

So I do a wget of
wget http://linux.dell.com/repo/software/bios-hdrs/
system_bios_ven_0x1028_dev_0x01b1_version_1.5.1/bios.hdr

But if I do

#dellBiosUpdate -u -f ./bios.hdr

I get

WARNING: BIOS HDR file BIOS version appears to be less than or equal to
current BIOS version.
          This may result in bad things happening!
          Exiting...

Is not the 1.5.1 BIOS later than the 1.2.0 installed on the machine ??

This is 64 bit Ubuntu if that matters.

Hints an suggestions welcomed