Dell Support and installing Ubuntu.

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Oct 16 15:21:04 CDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 04:25:45PM +0100, Matt Oates wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am new to the list so I appologise if this is a frequent question, I
> couldn't find anything specific on the forums.
>
> I was just wondering what the exact policy is with Dell supporting Linux
> on any of their hardware. I want to install Ubuntu 7.04 Server Edition
> onto some PowerEdge hardware we have free but it came with Windows
> Server 2003. Would we lose any hardware support with Dell if I was to
> change to using Ubuntu? I know from the linux.dell.com site that Ubuntu
> is supported on a specific laptop and desktop machine that come
> preinstalled with Ubuntu, but how far does the support in general stretch?

Dell doesn't officially support Ubuntu on servers, which is one of the
reasons we have this mailing list and linux.dell.com - both provide
information and a forum for sysadmins to help each other out.  This
extends to people maintaining packages in Debian and Ubuntu which will
work on Dell systems of all types (such as libsmbios, dkms, and
hopefully soon the firmware-tools suite).

You don't lose any hardware warranty by running Ubuntu or any other OS
on the system, but Dell Technical Support can't help you with anything
software-related.

Thanks,
Matt

--