questions about a PERC in a 2950

Tue Oct 16 11:51:12 CDT 2007

The PERC is a FRU.

RAID 0's and SAS 5/I volumes are not really compatible, there is Disk
Data Format (DDF) data on the PERC created drives that I'm not really
sure how the SAS 5 would handle.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Stromsoe [mailto:cbs at cts.ucla.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 11:41 AM
To: Boyd, Patrick
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: RE: questions about a PERC in a 2950

Thanks.  Is that a field replaceable item?  I ordered a couple of 2950s
with SAS 5i controllers and got them delivered with PERC controllers
instead.

If I build drives as single-drive raid0 units and put filesystems on
them,
then swap out the PERC controller for a SAS 5i controller, will the SAS
5i
read the drives ok, or does the PERC allocate space on the drive in a
way
that will break things when switching over to the SAS 5i?

-Chris