questions about a PERC in a 2950

Chris Stromsoe cbs at cts.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 16 11:39:21 CDT 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, McDougall, Marshall (FSH) wrote:

>> I have a couple of 2950s that have PERC controllers.  I'd like to
>> disable the PERC controller and drop back to using the SAS 5i
>> controller.  Is that possible / something that I can do in the field by
>> fiddling with switches, or does it require parts replacement?  If it's
>> not possible, is it possible to use the PERC as a straight SCSI
>> controller, without having to make each drive into single disk raid0?
>
> Chris.
>
> I don't have an answer to your question, but I am curious as to why you
> want to dump the PERC?

I'm not a fan of hardware raid.  Getting the data off the drives if
something goes very bad can be challenging.  With 8 cores in the box in
question, I'm not lacking for CPU.  The management tools leave quite a bit
to be desired, not the least of which is that there isn't a simple proc or
sysfs interface for managing the driver (using sh and echo to manage drive
replacement, rebuilds, hot spares, etc, with cat for reading back
controller and drive status would be perfect).  I'm also running Debian
and there isn't a Debian native build of the management tools or available
source to build them myself.

-Chris