Dell Support and installing Ubuntu.

Matt Oates meo at aber.ac.uk
Tue Oct 16 10:25:45 CDT 2007

Hello All,

I am new to the list so I appologise if this is a frequent question, I
couldn't find anything specific on the forums.

I was just wondering what the exact policy is with Dell supporting Linux
on any of their hardware. I want to install Ubuntu 7.04 Server Edition
onto some PowerEdge hardware we have free but it came with Windows
Server 2003. Would we lose any hardware support with Dell if I was to
change to using Ubuntu? I know from the linux.dell.com site that Ubuntu
is supported on a specific laptop and desktop machine that come
preinstalled with Ubuntu, but how far does the support in general stretch?

Thanks for any help you can give,
Matt Oates.