RE: PE1950 - EnergySmart - any disadvantages?

michalwd1979 michalwd1979 at o2.pl
Mon Oct 15 23:38:43 CDT 2007

Thanks for the info Faris.
 From my test it turns out that the efficiency of PSU is rather poor. 1 PSU of dell2850 takes about 40-50W idle. In my configuration no loaded server uses 180W (3 SCSI drives 2x 3GHz Xeon, 4G RAM). Fully loaded it needs 240-250W. In fact I could save about 40W just by taking out one PSU. Some other problem is cooling system.  6 high speed fans can take 70-80W alone when running on full speed, much less when running on reduced speed.
I am using water cooling and only one PSU so I saved about 100W (0.4A).  Now we are strongly thinking about making custom DC-DC PSU that will run directly form 24V battery, thus we will not need UPS, that alone can take some power just to covert energy 2 times. The problem is the connector to main board, I need to get documentation somewhere.
The server works in __VERY__ small private electronic company, we bough it used (without warranty) so we can play with it. My luck.

Regards,
Michael