OT: Thoughts on automated RE-deployment?

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Sat Oct 6 10:54:14 CDT 2007

On Fri, October 5, 2007 19:52, John wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 12:47 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>> Hello all, we're working with PE 1955s (blades) and have run into a
>> situation where the users of these blades often need to re-image them;
>> either with a flavor of Linux or a flavor of Windows.
>>
>> Up until now we've been using Symantec's Ghost Console for this and the
>> requests have been for purely Windows so the user could simply connect
>> to the Ghost Server and instruct the already running machine to
>> re-image itself with whichever image they needed.  Very handy.
>>
>> Throwing Linux into the mix however complicates things as there is no
>> Symantec Ghost Console client.
>>
>> Another admin here has cobbled together some scripts that the user can
>> run by hand on their machine to modify either grub.conf or boot.ini,
>> reboot to Ghost and re-image the machine.  This works but is a bit
>> kludgy and requires a lot of setup time.
>>
>> We'll be putting in place more of these types of setups so we want to
>> find an "elegant" solution if possible.
>
> Have you taken a look at the Open Source Ghost? Does everything almost
> like Nortons.

Which one do you mean?

>> I know Dell has deployment tools but I am curious if anyone has any
>> experience tackling an automated _redeployment_ (driven by an end user)
>> scenario.  We're not afraid of doign some coding/configuring and our
>> users are savvy enough to not necessarily need a glitzy GUI.
>>
>> I thought perhaps SystemImager might do the trick, but it doesn't
>> appear to play nice with Windows.
>
> Yes that is indeed true, because of a lack of NTFS support. System
> Imager is great for Unix/Linux.

Yep, in a multi-os, multi-FS situation, something that deals with raw disk
or partition images is probably the best fit.  g4l and g4u fit that bill,
IMHO g4l is the better maintained and fuller featured.  Note that Symantec
is starting to go after folks using "ghost" in project names or
descriptions for copyright/trademark infringement.  "Cease and desist"
letters so far.