add harddisks to RAID5 array

Nick Triantafillou nickt at bigworldtech.com
Sat Oct 6 03:27:03 CDT 2007

I've done this on a 2850 by adding the disk to the raid, rebooting to
the raid console, select 'reconstruct', select the logical drive, and
then select the new disk. It'll take a while depending on the size of
disks etc (mine takes 21 hours to add 300gb disk to an existing 4x300gb
raid5 array).

After that, you have to use something like gparted livecd to resize the
disk partition over the new space, then resize the filesystem over that
partition (if your filesystem supports being resized - i used
resizereiserfs to do this). Otherwise, just making a new partition will
work if you want to do that.

You may have to do something else if you use LVM etc, never done it that
way but hopefully this helps a bit.

Nick.