VMware Server and SLES10 SP1 on a PowerEdge 1600SC

John jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 17:03:48 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 15:39 -0400, John Bown wrote:
> Hello everyone.  I’m trying to install VMware Server 1.0.3 on a
> freshly installed and completely patched SLES 10 SP1 box.  I’ve barely
> even touched the thing and already there are problems.  Here’s what
> I’ve done so far:
>

> 1) Added kernel-source, gcc, gcc-c++ and make.
>
> 2) Executed the following three commands from
> the /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.53-0.8 directory: make mrproper, make
> cloneconfig and modules_prepare.
>
> 3) vmware-config.pl ends with the following:
>

> The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp) does not
> match your running kernel (version 2.6.16.46-0.12-smp).  Even if the
> module were to compile successfully, it would not load into the
> running kernel.

Did you REBOOT the machine after the Kernel-smp, Kernel Headers-smp,
Kernel Source was installed? You need to....
You may have to specify the Default boot Kernel in Grub or Lilo to boot
and run the new kernel. Other than that on my RHEL 4 and 5 machines
that's all there is to it. Only problem I have is the VM-Ware Tools will
break everything for the guest OS. It will kill the X Server and render
it useless so I no more use them.

> Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?  If I just did an online
> update, how are my kernel and kernel headers not the same version?
> None of the following have worked:
>

> http://en.opensuse.org/Setting_up_VMware_on_SUSE_Linux
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Recovering_VMware_Workstation_After_a_Kernel_Update
>
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/15963.html
>

> Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.
>

> John

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079