Poweredge SC1435 HOWTO Setup BIOS

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Oct 1 11:44:59 CDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:12:56AM -0700, Lamont Granquist wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, J. Epperson wrote:
> > On Mon, September 24, 2007 18:59, Lamont Granquist wrote:
> >> Bump.
> >>
> >> Are the BIOSes of the 1435s and the 1950s really so different that there's
> >> no way to set the BIOS of a 1435 from within the Host O/S like there is
> >> the 1950s?
> >>

> > Do you mean the system BIOS or the RAID controller BIOS?  There's a "SAS
> > RAID Storage Manager" in the SC1435 downloads at support.dell.com, with
> > doc at
> > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smiraid/en/index.htm
>
> System BIOS.  The F2 menu.  And the SAS RAID storage manager sounds like
> it won't help with SATA-equipped 1435s, either...
>
> > I think your real question may be "Why isn't OMSA supported on the
> > SC1435?", and I've not seen the answer to that articulated.
>
> Well, not exactly.  I really don't care about the whole management
> framework and the hardware monitoring and such like that, which rides
> along with the whole OMSA package.  I really just want to be able to
> twiddle the bits you would normally have to press F2 on the console to get
> to.  It'd be nice if I could hardware monitoring and such for the 1435s,
> but really they're horizontally scalable throw away machines, I don't
> critically need "hardware monitoring" at less than the level of whole
> machine failures.  If omitting that makes them cheaper, I'm fine with
> losing that functionality (and i think things like ipmitool and smartd
> will get me enough of the monitoring that i need...).  Requiring humans to
> hit F2 to configure the machine, though, is a PITA when you're dealing
> with hundreds of them.  Its time-consuming and error-prone.

You want the Dell Deployment Toolkit (DTK) from ftp.dell.com/sysman.
The most recent is version 2.3 here:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/sysman/DTK_2.3_LINUX-2546.iso

The Deployment Toolkit version 2.3 supports the following Dell
PowerEdge(TM) systems:

650, 1600SC, 1650, 1655MC, 2600, 2650, 4600, 6600, 6650, 700, 750,
1750, 800, 830, 840, 850, 860, 1800, 1850, 1855, 2800, 2850, 6800,
6850, 1900, 1950, 1955, 2900, 2970, 6950, and SC1435.

NOTE: x8xx series systems with dual-core processors are supported.

NOTE: Other systems may be supported with this release. Check
      "support.dell.com" to verify the supported systems and to
      download the latest version of the toolkit.

The sample scripts included with DTK have been tested with the
deployment of the following operating systems:

        - Red Hat(R) Enterprise Linux(R) Server version 3
          (32- and 64-bit)
        - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server version 4 (32- and 64-bit)
        - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server version 5 (32- and 64-bit)
        - SUSE(R) Linux Enterprise Server version 10 (64-bit)

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch