Strange value for Temp with openIPMI on poweredge 860

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Jan 26 09:21:13 CST 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 15:17, Postmaster wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a strange value on temp when reading " ipmitool sensor" :
>
> Temp                | -50.000    | degrees C  | cr ...
> Planar Temp      | 28.000     | degrees C  | ok
> A minus 50 celcius degree is quite strange.

I don't know exactly what kind of cpu you have in that box but for core2-ish
cpus intel seems to be reporting "degrees left till you hit critical, with a
minus". That is, -50 is to be interpreted as 50 degrees below melt down.

Of course this could be a case of broken ipmi values, but the 28 degrees
reported below seems to be ok.

Just my few cents,
 Peter