RHE 4 on PE1950 with NO Dell CD

Kris Haight khaight at online-buddies.com
Fri Jan 26 07:56:17 CST 2007

Hey-

I'm just found this list.. thanks dell. I wonder if this question has
been asked before, and if it has.. please excuse the newbie-ness of the
question.

I have several PowerEdge 1950s, and we're trying to install Red Hat
Enterprise Server onto these machines WITHOUT using the dell
installation and server management CD.

We do not like to use this CD because partitioning is difficult, and
this CD does NOT allow you to deselect packages, so we're stuck
installing a buncha stuff we don't want on our servers.

Is it possible to install this way? If I boot off the redhat CD
directly, the OS does not find the any hard drives due to it not having
the correct driver for the SAS card. I know I can download the driver
from Dell, however its a floppy image, and my 1950s do not have a floppy
drive. (I've tried a USB Floppy and RHE does not see it).

Any ideas, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

- Kris