UNOFFICIAL release, OMSA c.5.1 CentOS 4.4 LiveCD.

Harald_Jensas at Dell.com Harald_Jensas at Dell.com
Thu Jan 25 08:45:02 CST 2007

Christopher, and all who second, third etc. on this...

I have been playing with the idea of using:
 a) The firmware-tools, http://www.fwupdate.com.
 b) A firmware repository like http://repo.fwupdate.com/repo/firmware/ , and hopefully in the future mirrors.

Boot the CD auto/manual network config and simply run:
 # "yum -y --enablerepo=firmware-repo install $(inventory_firmware -b)"
 # "apply_updates"

This way we would have a static CD that should/could work on any system, Dell, HP, IBM, Servers, Desktops, Notebooks etc. As long as the repo is kept up2date the latest patches/FW's will be applied.

But I AFIK firmware-tools is not mature enough yet, firware for BMC, RAID Controllers and probably a lot more need to be added. Looking at the firmware-tools mailing list activity I guess development is not in "fast forward" mode... E.g I belive more people contributing would help.    <--- Hint! ;)

--
Harald Jensås