OpenManage questions

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Wed Jan 24 23:33:18 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 01:45:36PM -0800, John Oliver wrote:
> 1) There are several machines in our colo that have DRACs that are
> either not configured, or are configured with some bizarro
> IP/username/password  How can I, from the OS (RHEL 4), get into those
> DRACs and fix them?

Answering my own question for the archives...

racadm wasn't working because the systems in question actually had no
DRACs in them!  They have the port with the wrench, and I'm pretty sure
the lights are blinking, so I don't feel like a complete idiot for
assuming they did :-)  But, on these particular boxes, the DRAC is a
daughterboard that just isn't there.  And it didn't help that someone
had assigned IP addresses and configured forward and reverse DNS for
these non-existant DRACs :-)

> 2) At my last job, I installed HP Insight Manager for a bunch of
> Proliants.  Does OM have an app like that, that runs on one host and get
> hardware info, trouble codes, etc. from all the others, and that lets
> you push out firmware updates, etc?  What and/or where would that be?

Apparantly, the "IT Assistant" is what does this.  Weird name.  And a
Windows-only app :-(