RHEL3 and SAS5/iR: very bad performance

Giulio Orsero giulioo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 11:48:43 CST 2007

On 1/24/07, Eric Rostetter <rostetter at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> If you want to disable the drive cache, do so, but it will impact performance,
> and isn't a very big risk to leave on.  The controller write-back caching
> is safe if you have battery backup.  Not sure why you are worried, unless
> the SAS5/iR has no battery backup, in which case you're SOL.

The SAS5/iR has no battery back-up.
My problem is that a PE840 with SAS5/ir costs more than one with just
a single disk, but the one with a single disk is by far more
performant.
Then I have to enable the write-cache, and I was  hoping I could tell
the end-user that by doing so I would not put him at more risk than if
he were to use a single disk.

giulioo at pobox.com