linux-poweredge FAQ/wiki?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 14:41:17 CST 2007

On 1/23/07, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com> wrote:
> Until very recently, wikis haven't been on Dell I/T's list
> of allowed applications ...

  Heh.  How typical.  Damn IT jerks.  Always getting in the way of
progress.  ;-)

  (My job title is "IT Manager", in case it isn't clear that I'm being ironic.)

> ... I haven't had the bandwidth to moderate what anyone could post.
> There's a lot of wiki spam out there that Dell would really rather not
> have available on a dell.com-branded web site.

  FWIW: I help run a TWiki wiki for our local Linux User Group
(http://www.gnhlug.org).  While I dislike TWiki for other reasons, it
has given me some clues when it comes to fighting spam.  We've found
that we can stop almost all wiki spam by (1) requiring user
self-registration (i.e., no anonymous editing), plus (2) the TWiki
Blacklist Plugin.  We do occasionally get a bogus registration, but
they've always hit the blacklist trying to post their spam.  So it
appears to be a problem that can be controlled.  I'd be surprised if
similar functionality wasn't available for MediaWiki.

-- Ben