Linux and megaRAID and DELL 2450

Marios Pittas marios_pittas at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 04:35:10 CST 2007

We are using a DELL 2450:
 - 2 x P3 766MHz
 - RAID option installed although at the momment
we are using only 1 x 18GB COMPAQ SCSI hard disk.
The final configuration will be 1 x 10GB for the
OS and 2 x 18GB COMPAQ SCSI mirrored for the
data.
 - 512MB with anothet 512MB of memory on the way.

I am trying to install linux on the machine (any
distro would do really). We will only be using it
as our e-mail server (very very low volume) so we
feel it is enough for our needs - and we are
trying to avoid having to pay for a 3rd Win 2003
server liscence + mail server software costs! :(

I first attempted to use Fedora 6 but that failed
as anaconda could not see the hard disk during
installation.

I downloaded Fedora 4 and installed it
successfully. The only obvious difference was the
megaRAID driver installation which appears very
early before installing the SCSI card driver - a
first hint.

Windows XP also was able to detect the hard
disk..

Thus we started digging to the net and realised
the problem is with the LINUX drivers for the
megaRAID. I have downloaded also suse 10.x which
went through the same problem.

At the momment Fedora 4 is reporting:

- 2x 7899P U160/m PowerEdge Expanadable Raid
Controller 2/DC aic 7xxx Adapter
- MegaRAID LD0 RAID0 17278R

My preference would be to install one of the
latest distros.. I have already figured that its
an old topic, but I cannot imagine me recompiling
linux..

Can any one suggest any paths to explore? Your
help is greatly appreciated.

-- Marios