Dell 1950 Remote Access Card does DHCP with "SHARED" interface, but doesn't seem to do anything?

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Mon Jan 22 16:01:40 CST 2007

I just got a new Dell 1950.

Although there is no seperate NIC on the back with a wrench...
when booting up I see the POST routine for the Remote Access Card,
and if I hit "CTRL-E" it shows that it is using DHCP and getting an IP
address (and I can ping it).

But NMAP shows no services on any TCP or UDP ports are available.

What is the point of this new RAC device if there is no way to connect
to it?  Why would it get a DHCP assigned IP address if it has no
services at all?

-Ben.