SOL with ipmitool

Robin Humble rjh+dellpe at cita.utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 22 01:32:23 CST 2007

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 02:04:04PM -0500, clockwork at sigsys.org wrote:
>I've tried that. Where I run into issue is not with IPMI per se ... but
>rather with the Dell/Linux/SOL aspect. I have getty spawned and AFAIK it
>should work .... ipmitool is working for power and stats. SOL seems to
>connect, and then I get nothing. Here is the -vv output:

the below is all from a pe1950 with working SOL. OS is centos4.4,
x86_64 with a standard ipmitool from the OpenIPMI-tools rpm.

in /etc/inittab
  # Added for SOL
  cons:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS1 57600 vt100-nav

impitool line:
  ipmitool -I lanplus -H <bmcIP> -U root -P <passwd> -v sol activate

sol info is
  Info: SOL parameter 'Payload Channel (7)' not supported - defaulting to 0x0e
  Set in progress                 : set-complete
  Enabled                         : true
  Force Encryption                : true
  Force Authentication            : false
  Privilege Level                 : ADMINISTRATOR
  Character Accumulate Level (ms) : 50
  Character Send Threshold        : 220
  Retry Count                     : 7
  Retry Interval (ms)             : 1000
  Volatile Bit Rate (kbps)        : 57.6
  Non-Volatile Bit Rate (kbps)    : 57.6
  Payload Channel                 : 14 (0x0e)
  Payload Port                    : 623

channel info 1 is
  Channel 0x1 info:
    Channel Medium Type   : 802.3 LAN
    Channel Protocol Type : IPMB-1.0
    Session Support       : multi-session
    Active Session Count  : 1
    Protocol Vendor ID    : 7154
    Volatile(active) Settings
      Alerting            : enabled
      Per-message Auth    : enabled
      User Level Auth     : enabled
      Access Mode         : always available
    Non-Volatile Settings
      Alerting            : enabled
      Per-message Auth    : enabled
      User Level Auth     : enabled
      Access Mode         : always available

user list is
  ID  Name             Callin  Link Auth  IPMI Msg   Channel Priv Limit
  1                    true    false      true       ADMINISTRATOR
  2   root             true    true       true       ADMINISTRATOR

although user 1 maybe shouldn't be there.

so that's most of a working setup for you...
does that help?
I suspect just your flow control, port number or baud rate are screwed up.

cheers,
robin