Wierdness setting up PERC5e

Linux PowerEdge linux.poweredge at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 09:06:34 CST 2007

Greg,

Take a look at the documentation.  It does not support the "mode" in
which you have it configured currently.

Cabling Your Enclosure for Unified or Split Mode
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/md1000/en/HOM/operate.htm#wp1056917

How you cable your enclosure to your host controller depends on the
configuration you choose: unified or split mode.

              A unified configuration is one in which your enclosure
is connected to one host (for example, a server with a controller
card). In unified mode, your enclosure can be one of up to three
enclosures daisy-chained to a single port on the controller card in
your host server. See Figure 2-1 for a cabling diagram of a unified
mode configuration.

              A split-mode configuration is one in which your storage
enclosure is connected to either two host controllers, or two ports on
a single host controller. In this configuration, the drives are split
into two groups with eight drives controlled by one host controller
and seven drives controlled by the other host controller. See Figure
2-1 for a cabling diagram of a split mode configuration.

Hope this helps.