High IO Wait - PowerEdge 2650 - Perc 3/Di

Tillotson, Jeff Jeff.Tillotson at KnowledgeStorm.com
Fri Jan 19 11:46:51 CST 2007

>On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 09:18:35AM -0500, Tillotson, Jeff wrote:
>> The system is hanging during or after file writes.  If I do something
>> like:
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/jefft/file1 bs=512 count=864000 the system
>> will eventually hang and come back.  Using sar, iostat, top, I can
>> watch iowait percentage climb and climb until it hangs.
>Then, when I
>> can gain access again, it drops slowly.  The iowait
>percentage goes up
>> even after the dd has completed.
>
>Jeff, another question.  Is this reproduceable every time?  I
>just tried it on one of our 2650's that had had BIOS updates
>done, and while I saw some spikes in iowait activity, the
>system remained useable and the file finished writing without
>any issue.

Everytime.  The funny thing is the IO Wait continues, and really spikes,
after the copy has completed.  The system never actually crashes it just
"freezes" for a period of time.

Thanks for everyone's response.  I am trying some of the suggestions
during the day.  Well, except for the don't use PERC controller one :).
My arms aren't that long.
****DISCLAIMER
The information contained in this e-mail and attachments, if any, is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail and its attachment, or any part of its content or take any action in reliance of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the message back to the sender by replying and then deleting it. We cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments, and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.