High IO Wait - PowerEdge 2650 - Perc 3/Di

Tillotson, Jeff Jeff.Tillotson at KnowledgeStorm.com
Fri Jan 19 08:18:35 CST 2007

Hello all,
I have a Dell 2650 with a RAID1 drive connected to a Dell PowerEdge
Expandable RAID controller 3/Di on a SuSE Enterprise Linux 9.3 server
running 2.6.5-7.283-bigsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 29 16:55:53 UTC 2006 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux.

The system is hanging during or after file writes.  If I do something
like:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/jefft/file1 bs=512 count=864000 the system will
eventually hang and come back.  Using sar, iostat, top, I can watch
iowait
percentage climb and climb until it hangs.  Then, when I can gain access
again, it drops slowly.  The iowait percentage goes up even after the dd
has completed.

I have updated the PERC's firmware to 2.8.1.6098.

There is no error messages in dmesg, log messages or anyplace else.  Is
there
some mechanism for tuning this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Tillotson
****DISCLAIMER
The information contained in this e-mail and attachments, if any, is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail and its attachment, or any part of its content or take any action in reliance of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the message back to the sender by replying and then deleting it. We cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments, and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.