Raid configuration

Stephen Carville stephen at totalflood.com
Thu Jan 18 14:13:52 CST 2007

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) wrote:
> I am in the process of allocating drive space in several new 2950's.
> Each of these servers are to house DB's of some sort.  Each has a PERC
> 5/I, 6 X 146 gig drives and each will run RHES4.  I was thinking of 2
> arrays:
>
> 1 - mirrored pair of 146's for OS
> 1 - Raid 5 array with 4 x 146 for db's.  That would give me a disk of
> about 440 GB.
>
> Currently, the biggest DB is about 30 GB.   I figure there are just too
> many ways that I can slice and dice it.  Any advice appreciated.
> Thanks.

try instead:

RAID 1 for OS and DB software.  And redo logs and log archives if
applicable.

RAID 10 for the DB files (278G in honest measure).  This will be faster
and much more fault tolerant than RAID 5.

I have the above configuration in my 2950's except using 300G SAS drives
instead of 146.  I run AS 4.4 (32 bit, hugemem kernel) and Oracle 10g
fro OLTP and they scream!