Wierdness setting up PERC5e

Greg Dickie greg at max-t.com
Wed Jan 17 17:34:23 CST 2007

Hi,

  I'm setting up a PE2950 with a PERC5e connected to an MD1000 populated
with 5 750G SATA drives. I have connected 2 SATA cables between the
PERC5 and the MD1000 (for redundancy purposes). I configured 1 big vdisk
using OMSA (omconfig) and everything looked great until I rebooted the
machine. Then the controller started complaining about detecting
"foreign" disks... OK but I would have expected that omconfig would have
updated the config on the controller as well. So I did "omconfig storage
controller action=importforeignconfig" and got my filesystems back
(phew!). Today I noticed that OMSA was still complaining about a foreign
config. Running "omreport storage controller" did not reveal anything
unusual. I did notice, however that I see all 5 drives on both channnel
0 and channel 1 as I would expect. Now the fun part. I ran
importforeignconfig again and it did it imported the same vdisk once
again (same name, size,etc) AND started to initialize it! I suppose its
because it sees the drives on both channels but it should know that
those drives are already managed. Does anyone have any experience with
this? It it caused by the 2 SAS connections?

Sorry for the rambling,
thanks,
Greg

--