ipmitool and how to tell if the amber light is on

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Jan 16 23:27:32 CST 2007

Hi folks,
 I've been playing ipmitool a fair bit and I'm curious if there is
something obvious that I'm missing. We have a lot of dell boxes in our
server room and I'd love to be able to use an ipmitool command to simply
tell me if the amber light has come on. I know it's kind of backward but
in a lot of cases I don't want the specific case to be defined I just
want to know if the system has detected a problem that should be looked
at.

At first I thought I could just check to see if the system event log had
any entries in it but that's not a good test b/c if you clear the log it
still has a single entry.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
-sv