OT: solutions for FTP proxy?

Tony van Lingen tony.vanlingen at epa.qld.gov.au
Tue Jan 16 22:52:02 CST 2007

G'day,

This is not specifically PowerEdge related, or even Linux, so sorry for
posting it here but I've so far been unsuccessful in finding other
avenues...

I'm looking for a replacement for our current FTP-Proxy solution which
our provider will switch off by the end of the month. They're using the
quite old Firewall Toolkit, which is probably not a very good solution
even if I could find a place to download it (which I can't). The
replacement must be a native-FTP, http-based FTP such as offered by
Apache and Squid won't do as they don't allow command-line ftp clients
to log in/pass through (or I'm missing something -quite possible). Suse
had something apparently but I can't find the download site for it
anymore -maybe Novell canned it when they bought them out?

The question is: does anyone on the list run an FTP proxy to allow
outbound ftp traffic? Any suggestions as to where to look for
information? (I did try Google..)

I did find two products: Sambar Server, which stops just short of making
the tea, and Trilent-FTP-proxy which requires that OS that we don't
mention ;). Does anyone have experiences with one of those?

Cheers,

--
Tony van Lingen

Disclaimer

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) has originated from a Queensland Government department and may contain information that is confidential, private, or covered by legal professional privilege, and may be protected by copyright.

You may use this e-mail only if you are the person(s) it was intended to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately by phone or e-mail and delete this e-mail, including any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hardcopies.

Unless otherwise stated, this e-mail represents the views of the sender and not the views of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Although this e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer viruses, the Environmental Protection Agency provides no warranty that all viruses have been detected and cleaned. Any use of this e-mail could harm your computer system.  It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with your computer system).

E-mails sent to and from the Environmental Protection Agency will be electronically stored, managed and may be audited, in accordance with the law and Queensland Government Information Standards (IS31, IS38, IS40, IS41 and IS42) to the extent they are consistent with the law.