Clear foreign RAID config without rebooting

Simon Welch simon.welch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 05:06:33 CST 2007

I have a 2950 with RHEL 4 with 6 500gb dirves 5 in RAID 5 configuration and
1 hot spare, one of the disks failed and the hot spare kicked in.   I know
how to clear the foreign configuration from RAID controller but I don't want
to reboot whenever a disk fails is there an alternative method to clear
foreign config and assign new hot spare?

I have tried using OpenManaged Server Administrator but it reports no disks
available for hot spare although it reports the new disk as foreign.

Thanks

Simon