nfs performance of 2800.

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Jan 10 03:01:02 CST 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 04:42, Ian Mortimer wrote:
> I've been testing nfs performance of a 2800 (RHEL4 x86_64, PERC 4e/Di,
> Raid 5).  One simple test (bash loop appending lines to a text file)
> gets these timings:
>    to 2800 over nfs:                     20.072s
>    to old file server over nfs:           4.437s
>
> (Old file server is 32 bit, 2.4 series kernel)

I think this is the key, 2.4 vs 2.6 or to be more precise, the nfs-utils
version typically shipped with 2.4 vs. that of 2.6. In recent version
(>=1.0.0 according to man exports) the default changed from async to sync.
This has been known to cause the kind of effects you mention. I recommend
reading "man export", especially the part about async.

/Peter