Newbie help on HBA load balance...

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Jan 9 23:35:33 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 00:21 -0500, Ricardo M. Stella wrote:
> Hi list...
>
> I have a new 1950 with two QLogic single port HBAs (QLE2460). under RHEL4
> ES-U4 x64.  They are attached to two fiber switches, and to a SAN.  I
> installed the latest QLogic drivers and SanServer software also.  I am
> presented with four paths (two on each HBA) for the storage.
>
> Now I need to configure failover/load balance.  By default, the driver did
> not support load balance, but I enabled it.  I was able to configure via
> the SanServer software, but it seems to be only static load balance...
>
> The other option would be to go with RH's multipath stuff which from what
> I read would do round-robin load balance.  Would this be a better approach
> than via Qlogic driver ?  What does it mean 'static load balance' ?
>
> What's your experience ?

We're using the device-mapper multipath that comes with rhel4. It works
pretty well, so far. We've seen a fair number of fail-over/fail-back
situations. I'd give it a shot - but take your time setting it up and
testing it. make sure you're comfortable and clear on how it works. That
will help you a lot.

-sv