nfs performance of 2800.

Ian Mortimer ian at physics.uq.edu.au
Tue Jan 9 23:12:51 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 23:36 -0500, Jonathan Dill wrote:

> Maybe stupid question, but are the 2800 and other servers that you are
> testing plugged into the same switch?

I've tested from more than one client.  Some of these are into the
same switch as the 2800, some into the same switch as the old file
server.  The results don't vary much and in all cases the old file
server is much faster on this particular test (and only this test).

On all other tests the new file server is faster than the old which
seems to rule out network issues.

> try a smaller wsize / rsize (1024 / 512) and see what happens
> try TCP vs. UDP

Either of these makes performance slightly worse (on this test).

I'm wondering if it's due to changes in nfs between 2.4 and 2.6 kernels
(but I don't have any easy way to test that).

Thanks for the suggestions.
--
Ian