SOL with ipmitool

clockwork at sigsys.org clockwork at sigsys.org
Tue Jan 9 16:24:31 CST 2007

Hello,
    I have a ton of 2950's and 1950's and I would like to get SOL working
(the console/UI in drac is painful) yet I have run into a wall. I have
configured ipmi w/sol on IBM servers and intel boards so I know how it works
in general. When I connect to the 2950 I am using as a testbed I get nothing
on the sol session. I can control the system's power and get sensor data,
sol info and so on. So I run ipmitool like so:

ipmitool -I lanplus -H 10.4.3.74 -U username sol activate

Which produces nothing. It connects okay, and I can pull info from the bmc,
and power control works. I have the entry in inittab that I believe I need
(RHEL 4.x based distro inittab entry: s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0
115200,9600 linux) and I *believe* I have all the BIOS options setup. If
anyone can tell me what in specific I need to set to get this working it
would be a great help.

Thanks.